Home Creators Posts Import Register Favorites Logout

Content

Greetings world builders!

Just a quick service announcement about Foundry VTT (and the issues I bet lots of you are having) -

Foundry recently updated to V11, which has some really great features. The problem here multiple, though.

- No Foundry packs (/scenes, etc) that have been created before V11 will work on V11 (meaning - if you update to V11, none of your content will work). This is a worldwide issue. 

- Packs/scenes that are created to work with V11 WON'T work on any installation below that. So if you don't update to V11, there will be content you cannot use.

I've been talking with my team and we're currently deciding how to play this. Whether we convert all packs to work with V11 (this is also a bunch of work, but doable), or whether we hold off until the release is stable and more folk have upgraded to V11. I'm tempted to just go for it and make everything compatible with V11, the issue here though is that it will make the packs broken for anyone who doesn't upgrade to V11...

Any ideas welcome here :)

Ollie (Moonlight Maps)

Comments

TB

"No Foundry packs (/scenes, etc) that have been created before V11 will work on V11" That would mean that every single person's pre-v11 worlds would be useless right? I haven't seen any info indicating this, are we sure this is the case? Seems like a big deal and that there would be something on the Discord/Reddit about it.

MoonlightMaps

Our creator guild has been talking to the Foundry teams about this recently. Essentially we have to remake everything (well, adapt everything) to work in V11. Otherwise if you were to upgrade to V11, your content won't work

TB

Another suggestion for max compatibility, you could have BOTH v10 and v11. Seems like it would be as simple as just leaving a copy of the v10 modules untouched and available for download. I personally wait quite a while to update FVTT and never do so in the middle of a campaign. For those of us hanging around on v10 for the foreseeable future, this would be a very beneficial feature.

MoonlightMaps

That's certainly an option. For new users that would work fine, however many of you already have modules installed and ACTIVE in games. So those would need to be updated to V11 to keep working. Very tricky

Rahlord

I also wait awhile to update to major versions. It took a long time to full transition from v9 to v10 since modules had to swap over, in addition to replacing ones that were no longer maintained. I'd need to verify this but I thought I saw an ability to freeze a package so it won't update to a newer version. That would require users to specify all versions of the moonlight maps packages they're on (which in my case is a lot of packages) but that would allow you to update without negatively affecting users who locked packages. That's a bit technical though and there will inevitably be a number of people that don't lock packages so their worlds break.

Sean Evoy

Hi Ollie. I can only imagine what a nightmare this must be for content creators. Like you, I would love to take advantage of some of the new features of V11, but some of the game systems my table uses have the rules content updated, but not the core system, vice versa, or are "beta". If you stay on 10 for a while, I am fine with that, but I doubt you want to limit your business to that degree. I have not done the research on what the difference is between V10 and V11 for scenes. If it only the manifest, maybe there is a clever way to supply two different manifests--one for V10 and one for V11--but have the rest of the pack be "shared". So, the download would hit a URL on GitHub that knows "Oh, this is a V10 request, so I will serve up this manfiest and these files." A V11 request would hit a different URL that served up the 11 manifest and the shared files. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could supply a macro that did any extra "tidying up" on V11 if there is some breaking change. Anything a user has to do will definitely lead to support calls, but at least you can reach a broader audience.

TB

You should be able to handle this via the manifests for your v11 module versions. If you set them at a minimum foundry version of v11, then those on v10 who may try to update would be met with a message that there is a newer version but it doesn't work with your version of Foundry.

TB

As far as I understand you only need to make changes to the manifest of the modules. It's not that the scenes wouldn't work, it's that the *module manifests* are incompatible. In other words you don't have to recreate scenes, lighting, etc., only run a script to (or manually) update all your manifests. I think the distinction is to say packs *from a module* wouldn't work without updating. Users who have their own scenes in compendiums will have those automatically updated to work with v11.

Sean Evoy

Never mind. I see you use Dropbox. I don't know if the idea of a "wrapper" around the request for the manifest would be possible there.

Daniel Anand

Migrating to V11 is the way to go, the tricky part is the timing. I'm still on V10 and I'm planning to stay on it for a little while (one month after the PF2 ruleset being on 11 being the target). You can always start converting on the background, survey your patrons and ask which version they are, and move once you reach critical mass. Unfortunately, it will always be non ideal for some people.

Vladimir Smirnov

For me, ideal way to go is the one that will keep current maps V10 compatible - not sure if it can be done by just versioning or else. As I plan to upgrade to V11 once most of the modules I run are updated to be v11 compatible or there will be a decent replacement for them. Currently it's almost good enough for me - most of important ones are compatible and seems to be working fine, but not all I need are there - and based on how things are going - it's about 3-4 weeks before I'll be ready to upgrade to V11.

Terry Mixon

Upgrading to v11 is the right way to go. The question is how long to wait to migrate. It's been a few weeks since the update, so maybe a few more weeks to let things settle out?

Lyracian Xi

I understand the current plan for PF2e is to have the core system updated by August. Which means I will not be moving over to v11 until then. At some point you will have update every thing. I guess individuals could lock their V10 install until they are ready up update?

J

I use Forge to remotely host my foundry, and I make use of various automation modules in ongoing campaigns (midiqol, dae, ce, etc.) as well as other pre-built map/adventure packs from other creators. So until both forge *and* all of my main modules are compatible/tested with V11, I will be stuck on V10. I agree with an above comment that the best way to not ostracize certain portions of foundry users would be to have both V10 and V11 manifests available.

Ping Wing

Creating a small automation tool with node and Typescript would be a good idea forward. Something that can take in existing structure and reformat it into the new requirements.

Terry Mixon

Wow. That’s a long time.

Dan Gragert

As someone who upgraded too soon- Dealing with crucial modules unavailable, I'd say wait; majority of folks will likely be doing the same.

Steve Culshaw

I'd say wait for a while. I for one, have a number of modules I use that do not, as yet, have an update for v11, so I have to stick with v10 for now.

Danial Porter

I say go for it! Pf2e isn’t v11 capable last I checked, and that’s what I mostly run, but as long as the old packs don’t go away entirely, your best/most inclusive thing would be to convert everything to v11 and repost it so the v10 links still work. And you are doing v11 going forward. Otherwise you’ll have to convert even more stuff to v11 later

Rafał

About 1 year ago I made a post on foundryVTT reddit saying the assets, including maps, should have alternate way of distribution on foundry then modules. Modules are good for code and adventures, but man, maps shouldn't need to be updated between versions. I got downvoted to oblivion :D Well, honestly I'm not envious of the changes you have to do, but hopefully it can be mostly automated. I'd say old maps have to get v11 version, and for at least some time you should put out both versions now. Maybe 3 or so months. Right now many people just can't update to v11 even if they wanted due to systems/modules missing.

MoonlightMaps

Thaks for your viewpoints, everyone! Really good thoughts across the board. Everything should be compatible for both V10 (etc) and V11 now - with prompts for updates IF you want to. New maps will be V11 core, but I'm discussing with the team as to our options for making them compatible below V11 also...plenty of issues to work out :) I'll do a new post soon with a formal update, so you can see where we're at

Kris's Compendium of Trade Goods

I come with a resolve... sort of, since the maps are not on the Foundry Admin. Since there's a lot of content that has not updated to v10(not to mention v11), have at least up until the release of v12, both in tandem. v10 and v11. I am saying this, as I am a PF2e player, and our system has not currently updated to v11(Currently in Beta) not to mention the plethora of other modules that most of us use for QoL, I do have some knowledge with Foundry VTT and if anything I am willing to provide assistance into porting to v11 as a volunteer. Please keep the V9/10 a while longer please. (V9 versions work with v10). I know there will be some strain on the dropbox folders, as size will be a factor as you will have quite a bit of duplicates. Coming back a bit, Foundry Admin does have the possibility of providing a specific version for the Foundry that is active. But git-hubs need to be set up for each map individually. So that can simplyfy things, as well as, having the maps located via search, but due to patreon being a factor for Fvtt access. There might be some of a bit more extra set up.

TB

That's awesome! So glad you took feedback and went this route. Keep killing it MM!